As a Registered Dental Hygienist, I began learning about Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy more than fifteen years ago.
My philosophy of Integrative (ie, whole person) Patient Health Care determines my approach to customized treatment. I am an advocate for my patients with other necessary health professionals. Collaboratively, we pursue the reason why a symptom presents and then work together to treat for improved function.
I specialize in OMT and treat patients in my private practice generally in San Diego County, however in this age of technology, I have helped, and will continue to treat, patients all over the U.S. Once a comprehensive assessment is completed face-to-face, I am usually able help my patients with their therapy appointments in a variety of locations, including Zoom, FaceTime and Skype.
The profession of Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy demands continuous study. I have been intentional in training and learning many therapeutic modalities. I am committed to treating my patients with the latest techniques, therapies, and information.
I am passionate about educating patients, professionals, and communities about OMT. I am available for OMT educational presentations in dental and medical offices, for individuals, for professional organizations and for community venues.
- Founding Member of AAMS: Academy of Applied Myofunctional Sciences
- Founding Member of the ALF Interface Academy Advisory Board, Committee Co-Chairperson, 2018
- ALF Interface Conference, St. Louis, MO April 2018. Topic: Experiences in the integration of Laynee techniques, D Smile, and myofunctional therapy in awakening and sustaining the body's NIR (Natural Integration Response) in traumatized children and adults.
- Pediatric OSA Myofunctional Therapy Exercises; Pediatric OSA - A System for Diagnosis and Treatment - Session II, T & S Therapy Centre International; TMJ & Sleep Therapy Research & Education; Steven Olmos DDS, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, College of Dentistry, Memphis TN 2016
- Overview of Myofunctional Therapy, T & S Therapy Centre International; TMJ & Sleep Therapy Research & Education; Steven Olmos DDS, La Mesa 2015
Education and Training COMPLETED
- AOMT: Academy of Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy
- Introduction to Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy 2014 UCSD, UCLA
- Advanced Buteyko Breathing Re-Education for Myofunctional Therapy, UCLA
- Certified Buteyko Breathing educator
- AOMT New Frontiers in Myofunctional Therapy; OSA, TMD, Orofacial Pain & Posture, UCLA
- Introductory Course in Oral Facial Myofunctional Therapy; *Barbara J. Greene
- Oral Myofunctional Disorders: Cause and Effect; William Zickefoose
- Oral Myofunctional Therapy [Workbook], William E. Zickefoose, COM, Julie Zickefoose COM
- Orthodontic Success in the Coming Post-Retraction World, William Hang DDS, MSD, Los Angeles, CA 2015
- Certified in Dental Sleep Disorders, White Memorial Craniofacial Pain TMJ Clinic 2015
- AAMS 1st Annual Congress, Los Angeles, CA 2015
- Advanced course TMJ Disorders and Facial Pain: Orofacial Myofunctional Approach; Esther Bianchini PhD [from Brazil]
- Restricted Lingual Frenum: Diagnosis and Management; Irene Marchesan, PhD, SLP [from Brazil]
- White Memorial Medical Center, Los Angeles: Grand Rounds in TMJ and Craniofacial Pain [ongoing monthly]
- 9th Annual UCLA Sleep CME Course, David Geffen School of Medicine 2015
- FACES: Foundation for Advanced Craniofacial Esthetic Studies, Darick Nordstrom DDS 2015
- ALF Study Club [ongoing] Darick Nordstrom DDS
- Restoring Autonomic Breathing; Laynee Restorative Breathing Method, The Foundation of Movement, Level 1, Lois Laynee PhD 2016, Level 2, 2018
- AOMT Comprehensive Frenulum Inspection Workshop, 2016
- AAPMD [American Academy of Physiological Medicine and Dentistry] Airway Summit: Building a Collaborative Community for Optimal Health, Tucson, AZ 2016
- Foundation for Airway Health, Tucson, AZ 2016
- IATP [International Affiliation of Tongue Tie Professionals] Feeding and Breathing: Clinical and Public Health Implications, Denver, CO
- ALF Interface Conference, St. Louis, MO April 2017
- AMR [Airway Mini Residency], Airway Focused Dentistry, Mark Cruz DDS, Dana Point, CA; Barry Raphael DMD Clifton, NJ; 2016-2017
- AAMS 2nd Congress, Chicago, IL 2017
- Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine: Leading and Healing from Within, Daniel Friedland MD, UCSD 2017
- DSmile [Dynamic Smile] 6 day Trainer course, Gabor Hermann DDS, Gabi Baracsy SLP, Alexander Evans [Voice Gym] Budapest, Hungary
- Havening Introduction, 8 hour course, Ronald A. Ruden M.D. Ph.D.
- TOTS [Tethered Oral Issues], Seattle, WA 2018
- AAMS 3rd Annual Congress, Rome, Italy 2018
- AAPMD Conference, Airway Summit, Las Vegas, NV 2018
I've interned/consulted with:
- Joy Moeller RDH, BS, OMT AOMT; AAMS
- Licia Coceani Paskay, MS, CCC-SLP
- Rossana R Ramires, M.SLP, CCC-SLP, OMTS, PHS [from Brazil]
- Barbara J. Greene, Therapist, Teacher, Speaker & Author 2016, *Awarded Florence Nightingale Award for Vision, Enterprise and Passion in Establishing the Profession of Myofunctional Therapy